Sunday, February 2, 2014

Day 26 - my computer is online . . . for the moment anyway.  I've been having to fb on my iPhone which is not my favorite way of typing.  All thumbs so to speak.  I probably have some catching up to do with my posts but I won't worry about that; I will just post for today. 

I did not expect to post a finish that is all about loss, but that is exactly how this one "played" out.  After working hard all season, with wins to show for it, my Denver Broncos finished big - lost big.  It happens to the best of us and there is an overwhelming response that tries to take over .... disbelief, sadness, blame, self pity, even hopelessness.  I can't help but think about my past week and the inability to finish big - that is finish big defined a certain way.  Peyton might say "yeah, like winning".  My situation is more like - a nice tidy little package to take a pic of, pat myself on the back, and post a successful end to.  But what if it doesn't go like that?  Does it mean all my hard work up to this point is worthless?  Does it mean all the work to come is pointless? No - I believe the losses have great value.  The losses are part of the hard work.  The struggle is needed to be refined. Refined implies something pretty, something special, something "fine".  Without telling you in detail of my week, I can promise you that I did not finish pretty.  I did not behave pretty.  I did not even respond to all of it "pretty". But I am surely being refined! My heart goes out to Mr. Manning. His finish was not pretty.  I want to encourage him and myself to persevere, to realize that running the race means so much more than today's outcome!  LOOK at the last year!  Persevering, running the race means living life to the fullest, working hard, valuing the losses for it is those that make the wins have so much more value! To finish implies the end of something, but I say that the verb finish is a trickster.  With or without the -ing on it, it is in the present tense, an ongoing existence. In my world to finish is a process that comes with sanding, breaking, cutting, rebuilding, loving, obeying, worshiping, creating, developing, serving, gluing, and so much more. The crafting world loves the quote "It's the journey, not the destination!"  I say its both! Wow Manning!!! - What a season!  What a career in football!  What a future you must have in store!  Keep it up! Run hard! Finish the race! I will too.

"You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race.  Everyone runs; one wins.  Run to win.  All good athletes train hard.  They do it for a gold medal ... one that's gold eternally.  I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line.  I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition.  I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself." 1 Corinthians 9: 24-27; MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment